From: "Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI Johnson" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Friday, August 6, 2010 11:32:51 AM
Subject: [CHAT] I hired a gardener

I finally made a move towards getting my front garden back into shape.
The gardener came over a couple nights ago to give us a quote on doing
the front yard. I was expecting a basic "mow and blow" operation with
maybe trimming the shrubs around the house, so I showed him that. Then
he asks me if I really wanted all the little weed trees in the planted
area...why, no, of course not, I just haven't gotten around to digging
them out. I was surprised - the people I know who have lawn service get
just that, lawn service. They don't weed or do anything that requires
decisions. So we had a conversation about weeds, he told me it would
take a while but they could dig out all the grass and even hand-weed (!)
where necessary, he seems to know which are plants and which are weeds.
His English is a little broken and my Spanish is practically
non-existent but I'm pretty sure we understood each other. So I hired
him. It's cheaper than I expected too, they started yesterday and it
already looks better. This guy does the lawn at a rental house we own
and has been reliable there so I have hopes it will work out.
In the "You Just Can't Please Some People" department, I should be
ecstatic, and I am mostly, but I still have this nagging feeling like
this was my responsibility and I'm failing at it. No doubt it will pass
as the area gets whipped into shape and I get to do fun stuff like
planting again.
I'll be picking peppers and tomatoes this weekend, I'll make roasted
tomato sauce instead of boiling it down since it's faster, but maybe
I'll pull out the canner and put up some marinated peppers.

Cyndi