Re: Hibernation still in effect
  • Subject: Re: Hibernation still in effect
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:02:19 EDT

I'll follow Andrea's lead and try to make a summary of this crazy month.
The entire summer has been a garden disaster for me - a combination of
extreme heat and drought, too much other work, and not enough strength
to work out in the heat.  Something ate all my beans just as they began
to bloom.  My other vegetables have not done anything.  The soil in the
garden is hard as a rock from the drought - despite years of adding compost
and such good things.  My flower beds have also suffered from the drought.
Great patches of my epimedium have browned off.  Even some pachysandra
has turned brown, and that's usually drought-proof.  The pond is down do a
mudpuddle.  I have tried to keep the container-garden going by carrying
water, but even that has been a struggle.  Since we're on a well, I can't
use a hose or sprinkler.
In addition to all that, I've had more work of all sorts than I've had in
The book industry must not be suffering as much as I read that it is, for
had back-to-back indexing jobs all summer.  That combined with flower
show preparations on both state and local levels, Horticulture School exams
to grade and record, and various other such, plus a computer crash earlier
in the summer has kept me tied up.
Then there was the visit from my youngest son and his family - 7 yr.old
and Cate who's almost 5.  They were here for three days and then insisted
we go to the city with them for another three days.  We stayed at the
Club, saw a couple of Broadway shows, and a marvelous church service at
St. Thomas Episcopal Church on 5th Avenue.  I had been anxious about Chet,
since he is getting so slow and tottery, but he seemed to enjoy it all very
Then last Sunday morning he collapsed in church as he was serving as
Luckily the priest saw him going and caught him as he fell, so he didn't
hit his
head.  He came around quickly, but the EMS team took him to the hospital.
There all sorts of tests showed nothing amiss, but the cardiology team
on keeping him for observation.  To make a long story short, they decided
blood-pressure medication was too strong, and had caused him to faint from
low blood-pressure.  I brought him home on Tuesday looking pale and with
symptoms.  Wednesday he was so weak he could hardly stand.  I was ready to
take him back to the hospital, but of course he refused.  I did get him to
the local
doctor who diagnosed pneumonia, that the doctor said he had clearly
in the hospital.  He has been on strong antibiotics since, and seems better
stronger today.  We will see the doctor again in a bit.
I guess that's not a very cheerful or garden-related message, but I wanted
account for my apparent lack of response to the rest of you.  Best wishes to
all who have had birthdays I missed.  Pam, I hope your house doesn't fall
Andrea, there will surely be another job.
In a message dated 8/26/2010 6:10:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,