Re: What's eating my tomatoes?
  • Subject: Re: What's eating my tomatoes?
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

Usually the top third is just hollowed out.  Somtimes two smaller rows
have been dug out, but not just a round hole or v-shaped bite.
Chipmunks  around here are certainly not ground-bound.  I have recently
seen them eating the crabapples in the tree outside my kitchen window.
This would be 10 or 12 feet off the ground.  They are right out on the tips
of the branches, swaying in the breeze.  They also climb up into the
hanging pots of tomatoes in the breezeway.  I know they have eaten some
of those tomatoes,  but those are all the "cherry" types.  They are very
and sit and bark at me if I disturb them.
I wish I could let my cats out to take care of the chippies, but there are
coyotes in the woods and people have lost numerous small pets around
here.  We hear the coyotes at night, but they don't come into the yard
or disturb the squirrels and chipmunks.  And last week we came into
the driveway in time to see a groundhog scurrying into the garage.
Can't win this battle.  So far, knock on wood, the deer seem to be
responding to Liquid Fence.  I see them come into the yard in the early
morning, but they don't stay, and so far have done little damage.  Of course
that could change any day.
In a message dated 8/15/2011 3:05:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,