RE: What's eating my tomatoes?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: What's eating my tomatoes?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:09:35 -0700

I would bet on the chipmunks.
When mine start to get ripe I get holes in them from birds and also from
June beetles, but the green ones tend to stay undamaged. We have rabbits
and ground squirrels though, they'll eat plenty but so far not the
tomatoes.
Do they jump? Could you enclose your tomato plants in a cage and then
wrap some plastic around the bottom foot or so, could they climb that?

Cyndi