Re: well??
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: well??
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:14:36 -0400 (EDT)

No real structural damage here, but lots of limbs and stuff down, and more
water
running everywhere than I can ever remember.  The pond is right up into the
lawn,
and everywhere is soggy - to say nothing of a couple of inches in the
basement.
We were thinking we had escaped the worst when the power went off in the
middle
of the night on Saturday, and didn't come back on until about 4:30 this
afternoon.
To complicate matters, I was running a Horticulture School which was
scheduled
for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Well, first of all on Friday we were
told
that Lasdon Park & Arboretum, where we hold the school would be closed on
Monday in anticipation of weather problems.  We could have our school on
Tuesday,
Wednesday and Thursday.  First of all I determined that we would keep our
Tuesday
schedule the same as planned, even though it would have been better
sequence to
have it the second day.  Then I had to see if I could get Monday's speakers
lined up
for Wednesday.  Two could adjust, but one could not, so I had to find a
replacement.
That I was able to do.  Next it was necessary to notify all the students of
the change.
This was only about 20 people, only half of which had email. Well, we did
it.
The school went off very well, and there was only one no-show.  Tomorrow
will be
the written exam for those taking the course for credit, but that's no
problem.  What
was a potential problem was that I had not printed out the exams before we
lost
power - waiting to see how many I would need.  Thank goodness I had printed
out
all the 17 pages of outlines, etc. that go in the folders ahead of time. I
did have an
unedited copy of the exam, which Chet went out to Staples and had copied
this
morning.  At that point we had no idea when we would have power and if I
would
be able to print them at home. Now, I could have done so, but it was a
relief to
have that done.

Other people had a worse time - one friend had a tree fall on her roof, and
another
lost a bunch of trees.  I'm very grateful that we really only had
inconvenience.

Auralie

In a message dated 8/29/2011 8:29:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@gmail.com writes:

folks are ok in NE PA.  Hope Auralie & Eva are ok in NY state!