Re: Hummingbirds in my garden
  • Subject: Re: Hummingbirds in my garden
  • From: "Auralie Logan" <5bef58771@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 07:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

We always have at least one pair of hummers. Over the years we have tried  many
kinds of feeders, but have found that the flat red ones that look like small frisbees,
with about six feeding spots around the rim work bet.  This year we only had one
pair early in the season, but they must have hatched out a whole nestfull for I now
see several at one time, and yes, they are territorial and chase each other around.
The problem that has developed this summer is that since we bought a new
squirrel-proof seed feeder, the frustrated squirrel sits on top of the humming-bird
feeder and tries to drink the sugar-water.  I guess he sticks his tongue down the
holes.  I'm hoping he will rot his teeth so he will stop chewing up the suet-feeder.
He has destroyed three this summer, and since we put the suet into a wire
cage that he can't get into, he sits on top of it and tries to chew the wire.
That wire cage has helped to keep the squirrels from the suet feeder, but now
a chipmunk comes and sits right on top of the suet-cake.  He and the birds are
going through more than a cake a day.  It's getting too expensive.  I just hope
he will get too fat to get through the openings - or maybe his cholesterol will
go up enough to cause him problems.