Re: I'm here, too

Hi firends, was having earthlink problems so originally sent the following to
just Theresa.
Also, if you want to see who is here, check the archives:

Hi Theresa,
Here we are all sorted out and exploring our new digs, and now Earhlink's
webmail is down, so I can't write to the list.  So I've been reading the
messages on the archives this morning and wanted to respond to your question
about refrigerating bulbs.
Here in Zone 5a we don't need to chill bulbs, of course.  However, In early
November Van Engelen puts their bulbs on sale at a 40% discount off their
already terrific prices.  So I buy up lots of lilies which I store in my
refrigerator until March and then we (MGs) sell them at the Home & garden Show
for early spring planting.  They do just fine this way.  I know becuase we had
some that didn't sell last year and I planted them on St. Patrick's Day.  They
came up a little later than fall planted bulbs, but nothing else different.
Someone mentioned the ethylene gas problem.  Main source is apples, but
possibly other fruit would contribute too.  However, I never refrigerate
fruit, so this has never posed a problem for me.  I also reserve one crisper
bin for my seeds.  Since I live alone, my refrigerator has plenty of space to
accommodate my gardening needs.  A family fridge may not have enough space for
these items.

Additionally, different bulbs need certain lengths of cooling time.  I've a
list at home, will try to remember to post it later.