Re: chilling bulbs

Hi Kitty, I find this interesting that Narcissus have one of the highest
chill times.  Here we are not able to grow any (at least not the ones I was
familiar with) of the bulbs you mentioned EXCEPT Narcissus without digging
and chilling in a frig.  The Narcissus naturalize fine, and come up even in
our mildest of winters.  In fact, we have not had any freezing temps yet, no
prolonged cold spells either,  and the Narcissus are all coming up like gang
busters.  I have several varieties w/ varying bloom times.

You mentioned in an earlier posting that certain bulbs don't tolerate heat in
summer, could this be the difference?   Also, bulbs are in the ground, our
ground never freezes or gets cold enough it seems to chill anything it seems.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast