Re: Deer/hunting

 I grew up in a family where everyone hunted...and my husband's family is the same.  I tend to agree with you, DF--people who hunt only to kill are not true hunters, they are just murderers for sport.  True huntsman/women know the value of the habitat and the game they hunt.  I have never met a true hunter who would dream of wasting the meat they harvest--indeed, most of them take pride in figuring out how to use every last bit of meat they can--we have a local meat shop here that processes many of our guys' deer and Bud makes some of the best deer sausages, deer jerky, etc. around...many of the hunters I know even try to take care with the hides so they can sell them to people who have use for them.  The occasional trophy worthy buck they take is a bonus for them, not the end they are seeking in the first place.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12, David Franzman  wrote:From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:12:09 -0800Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer/huntingLet me chime in on hunting.  I don't hunt anymore.  Used to hunt ducks when Iwas young.  We ate what we shot.  Now I'm a catch and release fly fishermanonly.  However, I have found true hunters to be true friends of the environmentlike their fly fishing compadres.  They want and need a clean and well managedhabitat for their sport but besides that they have spent time in our wild placesand have learned a respect for the outdoors.  Most of my fishing friends arejust as happy looking at and being a part of the environment as catching largenumbers of fish.  I think most intelligent hunters are the same.  It's not thekill as much as the experience of just being one with the environment.  Thepeople Zem is talking about isn't included in what I just wrote.  There arethose who just enjoy killing.  My values say there is something intrinsicallywrong with them.DFLinda wrote:> Trophy hunting does tend to reduce the healthy male population and leave> disproportionate numbers of does to reproduce.  (Also the fewer sets of> trophy antlers out there, the more someone will pay to take one home and put> it on their wall.)  Hunting for meat is more egalitarian as does are good> eating and licenses are issued for bucks or does specifically, not just for> 'deer'.>> As I've said before, we don't hunt or allow hunting on our property and that> is respected.  But I'm told that in more populated areas property lines tend> to be ignored.  Here the game and fish folks stay pretty well on top of it,> and generally are good at setting the hunt each year in relation to overall> population and habitat.  They also provide hunter safety courses, and much> of the hunting by novices is with guides.  I suspect that over population in> relation to available habitat is a major cause of disease among wildlife.>> That said, a friend recently gave us a

good supply of elk meat and we're> delighted to have it.  Game is much healthier to eat than fattened domestic> animals in terms of fat and cholesterol and hormones and antibiotics.  It> doesn't seem to me that a person should have to be starving in order to hunt> (if you're that poor, you can't afford the license and equipment anyway),> but I don't like the trophy hunting.  If you go out and kill an animal, you> ought to eat it, not just hang the head on the wall.>> We have way more mule deer than white tailed deer around here.  The mulies> can do some damage in a yard, but not in comparison to white tails.  And> since there are wide open spaces for animals, they don't hang around yards> getting tame except in towns and we don't have many of those!  The big> problem you have in more populated areas is trying to squeeze too many> people and animals into the same space.  And I think you don't have the> right ingredients to manage harvests by hunters to keep a balance between> animals and habitat.  Out here there are always more people wanting hunting> licenses than there are licenses available.>> Linda in Wyoming>> > Well said, Marge, as always.  Skipping over my problem with hunting for> > "pleasure", my problem with hunting as a means of population control is> that> > the hunters do not cull the herd as a true predator would do.  Human> hunters> > take down the best and the strongest, not the weak and sick.  Perhaps if> > they had to run them down on foot it would be different.> > And maybe also if it were the controlled hunt you suggest.  Tough topic.> I> > think I like Jim's heeheehee's better!> >> > Libby>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the> message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com