Re: Deer/fishing

I think these generalizations about hunters are more perception than fact.
The trophy hunters do tend to go for the largest buck they can find.  The
hunters for meat tend to go for a young animal for the most tender meat.
During hunting season the animals don't run in herds, so there generally is
not a string of animals to evaluate and pick the best.  A lot of hunting is
a combo of luck and skill, so the hunter takes what he is able to find and
get a good shot at that meets the requirements of the license.  I believe
that diseases are more a result of over-population in relation to habitat,
and sometimes stress caused by severe weather and lack of food.  In Wyoming,
disease is also attributed to the introduction of exotic species of deer not
suited to the climate and habitat we have here.  Wyoming does not allow
exotic species, but neighboring states do, and the deer don't respect state
borders.

The whole thing gets complicated too by part of hunting having become a big
business.  Those who can pay the price are taken onto private lands where a
number of questionable practices may be used to ensure the presence of
trophy animals. A hunter with little skill then can get a large animal and
go home with the bragging rights and bypass the learning process that
traditional hunters go through.  A guide takes the 'hunter' out to a place
where animals have been confined or lured, the paying guest takes his best
shot, then they go back to a gourmet meal and a whole lot of liquor in a
fancy bunkhouse.  And that's what money buys in the hunting world.  But
there are still the kind of hunters who feed their families with what they
can get, and that's a whole different story.

Linda in Wyoming