From: owner-gardeners@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardeners@hort.net]On
Behalf Of jim singer
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 12:28 PM
To: gardeners@hort.net
Subject: [GRD] citrus

for those who do not know, this is the beginning of citrus season. i have a
pile of lemons--both bearss and improved meyer--on my kitchen table, a
large tree full of ripe duncan grapefruit, a container grown chandler
pomelo with one very large fruit, a loaded minneola tangelo tree that has
begun to orange up [there will be fruit for turkey day], and a valencia
orange tree on which the fruit usually ripens, actually, in early spring.

on our tour of the plantation this morning, we also discovered ripe figs
and mulberries. and the hong kong orchid tree is starting to bloom. it has
such a beautiful flower, i really have to figure out how to propagate this
baby. it's a hybrid of my making and does not produce viable seed.

but the real good news to me is that my baby bottle palm appears to have
grown a foot since i planted it earlier this year. that means the roots are
down and it's beginning to develop cold hardiness. i do not cherish
evenings with frost predictions; i have to run around throwing old sheets
over all sorts of plants.

This list is a temporary replacement for the AHS_GARDENING list
while it awaits moderator intervention