RE: Amaryllis?? to Haemanthus albiflos

All imported seeds, plants and plant tissues (don't recall their words exactly) except for plants from selected greenhouses in Canada must have phytosanitary certificates. Among other things, this means that if they find an interesting plant in a tropical rainforest that has medical properties of interest, they can't bring it in because the country of origin probably doesn't issue phyto certificates. Mexico, for instance, doesn't. Brazil might. This has been the law since last Jan., apparently. If you're getting seeds, someone at the P.O. is falling down on the job.

OTOH, I wonder how their law restricts or doesn't restrict the importation of beans, maize, and grains, all seeds. And of course we import foods containing seeds from Mexico and other South American countries. Hmmm.
Margaret L

Margaret,

When did this happen? I have been getting seeds from overseas. They mark
the envelope very clearly and also package them in clear containers. Is
this just across Canada / US borders? I know it is royal pain of red
tape to get a plant in from anywhere....

Donna
Who probably should have finished reading all the messages first :)