Re: OT: degree sign

Well, Jim, my email program is ascii text and I have never seen a
symbol come up in the 8 years I've been using it...I do get assorted
garbage mixed with text sometimes when people try to send something
besides pure ascii.  My program does not digest  HTML...I get blank
screens from those who send email this way...just a header and that's
it.  I can often see the message by hitting reply and if that doesn't
work and I really want to read it, I can go to preferences and hit
source and see it - normally chock full of HTML coding...usually I
just delete the invisible posts unless I have a lot of time to kill
or really, really want to see it:-)

What you see on your computer monitor is, to a degree, set by your
own personal system set up.  What others see is set by theirs, so
seeing something on your screen does not, necessarily, mean that
others, with different set ups will see the same thing.

Just because you have your preferences set to not send in HTML does
not mean your program can't read it....it can and does on your own
monitor.

Some email list servers are set up to delete all non ascii text from
the message to prevent problems for listmembers who can't see HTML
...dunno if Chris has his set that way or not.  The email software
may or may not have a preference that can be set by the listowner to
either accept HTML or strip it out of messages so that all
subscribers can see them.  If it does not, then the owner of the
server can program it so that it does this.  Whether or not  HTML is
accepted by the server has nothing to do with the server's operating
system as far as I know...it's a programming thing.

Re: not seeing some messages on garden.chat.  Chris posted that if we
don't remove the unsub message at the bottom of all posts, his server
thinks it's someone trying to get off the list and holds the message
until he can look at it and release it.   Well, Chris is a busy guy,
so he can't just sit and monitor all the time:-)  Thus, a time lag is
gonna happen.  It behooves ALL of us to check our replies and remove
un-needed copying of previous messages AND the unsub note at the
bottom.  We need to leave enough of the message we're replying to so
our reply makes sense to those who come into the thread late, but
I've seen posts that have 6 or 8 previous posts appended to the
bottom, all with multiple unsub messages.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: James R. Fisher <garrideb@well.com>
> I think I have to take issue with that; as I said when I tried,
> I sent my sig (since edited to remove degree) to myself and back
> with no trouble. I have my prefrences set _not_ to send HTML.
> Have you never seen degree signs emanating from other people/lists
,
> such as ALPINE-L ?
>
> I tried sending my OT message to the AHS list, to test the
hypothesis
> that the translation takes place either by the list processor
> (Majordomo vs. Listserv) or by the machine it runs on (maybe
Solaris,
> maybe NT, in the cases of gardenchat vs. AHS). Unfortunately,
> _I_ never got back my original posting from gardenchat, though I
> suspect everybody else did, certainly David and Margaret.
Presumably