Re: OT Christmas tree/ traditions

Well, David, I'm not an authority by any means.  My mom and I are VERY much
into cultures and traditions of some parts of Europe as a hobby.  From our
studies we found that very much comes from the early pagan beliefs, symbols,
etc. the meanings of which are similar throughout the world.......these
traditions, customs, designs were already in use, so when the monks, etc.
were converting the people to Christianity, they used these things already in
use to get the people to understand Christianity better.  It was impossible
to try to change every aspect of their lives, including changing their belief
system, so by incorporating christian doctrine into their everyday life
...they were more easily accepted and understood.

For instance, the symbol of a tree coming out of a heart....the Tree of
life...is used in cultures all over the world.  In pagan times and in some
cultures today, it symbolized the heart of mother earth from which all life
comes,.....when they became Christians, this same symbol became the heart of
Jesus from where all life comes.

Another example....the egg....used in practically every culture in the world
also, having the same meaning.  During pagan times, and still in some
cultures, it means Fertility and New Life, the blood of life, etc.  In
Christianity it means the same except it symbolizes not only Fertility, but
the Resurection of Jesus, the blood of Christ.  In Egypt in the ancient tombs
two eggs were always found to be placed in with the entombed.....a black egg
and a red egg.  The black egg was for the food along the journey to the
afterlife, and the red for the blood to be reborn....and in many Christian
cultures today, eggs are still placed in the caskets along with the dead, or
on the graves.

David, now aren't you sorry you asked??  LOL   This and plants are something
I could go on and on about.....but won't bore you all.  LOL  Sorry, didn't
mean to make this so long.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast