Re: was Haggis/now history of food

Lye is a preservative if used in small doses and a horribly painful death
in used in large quantities.

Pam's other question comes mainly from history of what was available for
folks in certain regions.  Now of course we go to grocery stores and
purchase foods from around the world.  In times before refrigeration and
and modern transportation you ate what you had.  If you're starving that's
sheeps stomach looks pretty good.  It's also a handy bladder for stuffing
other goodies into it and you have a large sausage.  When depending on the
local environment for substanence you don't waste anything.  Food around
the world is an interesting topic.  Grubs, baby birds, monkey brains,
blood sausage all of these delicacies are based on what was available at
the local level and now since we are mixed all around the world they are
brought to us through cultural exchange.  The same folks who bring us dim
sum also bring us monkey brain.  We get snitzel and potato pancakes from
the same folks who give us blood sausage.  My love for goose liver pate is
in complete knowledge that the best pate comes when the goose is forced
fed corn until their stomachs explode.

Margaret, I worked for a Danish chef who hailed from the old country and
while perusing his old cookbooks noticed a picture of just born baby birds
with their eyes still closed arrayed neatly on a plate and garnished very

We all know of course that the best sausage is stuffed into pigs

It's what you're used to.  Believe me Pam, Hindu's think Texans are real
weird for eating steak.  By the way, ever try rattlesnake?  Understand it
tastes like chicken!