Re: Deer hunts

 Marge:  I think that as Ceres points out, this unnatural method of herd control is not cheap...it takes a lot of coordination and time to pull off one of these controlled hunts.  Also, although our county did manage to cull somewhere in the neighborhood of a few hundred deer, the darn little buggers breed faster than one hunt can keep up with each season.  I have hunting friends who believe that two deer seasons, a fall and a spring hunt, might help reduce the population a little more effectively, but there again, you are talking about money...One of the other reasons we have not had much luck  in terms of long term success, is that it is very difficult to convince a community to let sharpshooters take deer within people populated areas (which is where so many of the deer/people problems exist in the first place), so most of our controlled hunts take place in more rural areas, like the major county/state parks in the area...My husband says he thinks the county has decided not to do a controlled hunt this year and return to investigating other options, too.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Fri 12/13, Marge Talt < mtalt@hort.net > wrote:From: Marge Talt [mailto: mtalt@hort.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:07:28 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] DeerWell, Melody, does your local consider the controlled hunts to be aviable way to control herd size?  Ceres says it's not working whereshe is.  Marge Talt, zone 7 Marylandmtalt@hort.netJoin Excite! - http://www.excite.com