Re: Houseboat Gardens; now Boating Christmas Tradition

I'll have to take a look.  In our part of the country, there aren't too many
houseboats; mostly sailboats and motor yachts.  The sailboats don't usually
have room on deck for plants (although I sometimes put them on our foredeck
under the awning in the summer), and the motor yacht owners probably have
gardeners to take care of their plant needs at home :^)

Seriously, in our area there are approximately 7,000 boats.  Except for the
live-aboard owners, most boats are seldom used.  We get lots of people for
occasions like the Christmas boat parade, the Fourth of July fireworks, and
Mardi Gras in Galveston, but otherwise there are many neglected vessels on
Clear Lake.

I wish I had photos to share of the parade Saturday.  There were probably 60
to 70 boats on parade, and the decorations were spectacular.  My favorites
were a motor yacht decorated to look like a choo choo locomotive (not a real
one, but one from a children's book), complete with wheels of chasing lights
that looked like they were going round and round -- you could hardly see the
boat for the lights; a sailboat with a full sized Santa, sleigh and reindeer
swinging from the mast, bow to stern; and a small ski boat disguised as a
Star Fighter from Star Wars.  My husband's favorites were a bi-plane, and a
small fishing boat with three "Singing Sumo Santas" on the bow.  The fishing
boats and the shrimpers string lights from their outriggers and outline all
of the equipment on deck; I've been told that the working boats started the
boat parade tradition many years ago.

The Christmas boat parade has been a boating tradition in every area we've
visited.  Also, many boaters hang lights from their mast top and along the
lifelines -- some are very ornate.  And real traditionalists hang a fir
branch from the mast top.  We do a little of both -- lights, and a live
wreath decorated with nautical ornaments on the bowsprit.  This has become
our Christmas tradition.  Some of the marinas are wonderful to see on a
winter evening.

Scottie