Re: Orchids for the northern USA

Hello Donna,
    In the past Ladyslippers gained a reputation for not surviving after
transplanting for a variety of reasons. I think mostly from people digging
and moving without understanding the root systems and needs of the plant.
All perennials have needs, not just ladyslipper orchids. Perhaps not as
critical in many cases, but there never the less. For instance, the Royal
Ladyslipper does just fine when transplanted ... if it is moved to a boggy
area. Move it to normal garden soil where it dries out, or had the wrong pH
and it withers away. Yellow ladyslipers survive just fine when attention is
given to their needs. The so-called lesser orchids no one pays any attention
to and some are in the trade. Orchids, both native and from Asia are now
available from seed grown plants and tissue culture and yes, in general they
take transplanting better that a wild dug.
    Pink ladyslipper can be quite tricky. Have friends who have managed that
one, however. Both here in the eastern US and in several European countries.
So.. can be accomplished.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com