birds & bald eagle

Thanks, Linda.
Wish I had enough property to have kept a dead tree for just that purpose,
but this is an urban lot.
Just returned from Charleston, SC where we went through a cypress swamp
reserve purchased and maintained by a partnership between the Audubon
Society and the Nature Conservancy. There were many dead trees that provided
two purposes: host to insects and cavities for birds to nest.  These trees
were full of holes of all sizes.

Must say that the most exciting part of this trip was the discovery of a
bald eagle's nest just before the first gate  at  Kiawah where we stayed.
Most days we'd see the male perched on a branch just outside the nest. Of
course we visited the area every day. We never saw the female leave, though
we would see her head from time to time.  The men at the gate told us that
the pair has been there a number of years.
The nest was at the top of the tallest tree (pine) at the edge of a marsh.
While we saw the male fly off and return a few times, never saw him return
with dinner.  We did see him fly away from the nest carrying a pouch like
"thing" in his claws on two occasions.  Does anyone have an idea what this
might have been?
Janet