Re: herbs and spices; OT

OK, where do roots fit in?
Cathy
On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 12:45 PM, David Franzman wrote:

I don't claim to be a culinary master however I do have a book someplace that
explains herbs and spices and goes into the history of both. I haven't looked at
it in quite some time (not sure I could even find it) but the question is somewhat
like the fruit and vegetable thing. A tomato is a fruit regardless of what Ronald
Reagan says.

In general though herbs are leafy plants whose leaves are used either whole or
crushed. A spice is a seed or bark of certain or plants. I can't think of an
exception to that right now but I'm sure there are some.

DF

Josh Haskell wrote:

I know there are several culinary masters on the list. Can anyone explain the
distinction between herbs and spices?