Re: Harry Potter Garden

Oh man.... how cool are you!!  Your yard must've been the yard all
the kids wanted to play in (and probably still is!)
I'm a HP fan along with my 4 yr old daughter.  I haven't had the
pleasure of reading any of the books but have seen the movie about
a dozen times.  We are going very soon to see HP2.  We gave Teylor
all the HP figurines, HP game, velvet cloak (she was afraid to put
it on first thinking it would make her disappear), wizard hat, and
HP glasses.  Didn't get around to finding her a Nimbus 2000!
What an amazing imagination you have!!!  How clever and FUN!

When our 2 sons were at home, the small backyard  (one end dirt and
vegetation and the other end blacktop) was devoted to a basketball net
and automobiles.  They could be so wild chasing balls that I would never
have planted anything back there and risk the trampling.   The basketball
stanchion had been turned into a place to hang various bird feeders and
was rusting.  It had become an overgrown pit , and something had to be

Then I read the Harry Potter books and an idea was born.  It started with
the word Diagon Alley.  I realized that the path was on a diagonal from
one end to the other.  Are you as taken with this series of books as I
am?  The word play!

The basketball stanchion became the quidditch goal.  I painted a
ball-shaped finch feeder metallic gold as a Snitch ball.  Empty 2 liter
soda bottle feeders became Bludgers.  I tied an old wood broom to the

There are 4 big, black compost bins in a row.  On a Xerox machine I blew
up the shield symbols and names of the 4 Hogwart houses, put them on
contact paper and plastered one on the front of each bin.

I bought a tall, skinny, ornamental metal etagere with shelves to use as
an Owlery.  I weighted the bottom with a large rock and each shelf now
sports an ornamental owl.  (Over the years 4-5 had accumulated: metal,

I grow a lot of daffodils (Narcissus is Malfoy's mothers name) and the
strangest division are the split coronas so one bed got those.  There
really aren't many plants yet that sport Harry Potter names but I'm on
the lookout!  A breeder in Latvia has named a variety 'Harijs Poters'
that is to be ordered this next year.  That's Harry Potter in Latvian.  I
hear that a New Zealand grower is also working this thread.

One end of the garden is very shady from the neighbors maple trees.  I
thought tricyrtis sounded strange enuf so I planted a half-dozen
varieties and some large hostas there.   I put in a couple sumac trees
and some large, bold red, orange and yellow daylilies.  One corner sports
3 hydrangeas: pink, blue and white.  This year I want to find a large
goblet shaped container and plant it with blood grass.

Children quickly discover this area when they visit.  One little boy
announced that 'you need a train'.  I see on the Lego Website that they
have a 'Harry Potter' train but that it doesn't run on a Lego track.  I'm
not familiar with the ins and outs of  trains but would be interested to
know if it could be used outdoors and what kind of track one would run

I hope this gives you a picture of what's back there and not more than
you wanted to know!

Linda Wallpe

<<<<From: "Danielle Lavin" <danirlavin@hotmail.com>
Subject: [CHAT] hp garden - Linda

I just have to ask you Linda, what was in your Harry Potter
Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf