Re: What are you reading?

Hey, folks!

I just started reading "Allergy-Free Gardening; The Revolutionary Guide
to Healthy Landscaping" by Thomas Leo Ogren. While the title is
ridiculous (allergy-FREE??? now really!), the book makes good sense. A
number of common landscape plants (200+ pages) are indexed, and each
description includes not only the usual essential info like zone data,
but also where the plant falls on an allergy scale of 1 to 10, based on
the proportion of the general U.S. population allergic to it.

Since I live in the 'burbs and can't control what my neighbors plant, I
have no illusions about controlling the pollen in my outdoor
environment. But it is interesting to find out what the most common
allergen-producing culprits are, and then have a look around to see how
many of them are nearby. Might eventually save me from making a bad
choice in trees and shrubs nearest the house. I can also see where it
would be useful to know if a plant in my yard causes a lot of people to
suffer, because come garden clean-up season and during weeding, *I'm*
going to have my face and arms in it. This book tells me when I need to
think about wearing a particle mask as I work.

A fun browse for the stuffed-up and curious. . .

Wendy