Re: what are you reading?

> books-on-tape. ...
> very expensive ($25-30 and up).  Maybe I looked in the wrong places - any
> good sources?

I've been 'reading' books on tape nearly every day for the past 7 years.
The most reasonable source, of course, is the library.  But depending on
your location, selection may be poor.

Next, on the inexpensive list is Cracker Barrel.  I've never gotten any from
them, but my sister did.  It's really a rental system.  Pick one up at CB
while on a driving vacation and when you're done, just pull into the next CB
and drop it off or trade for another. Or, not traveling, just use your local
CB as a library.

You can also try used bookstores.  One here buys your books for 1/3 of the
retail price and sells them for 1/2 the retail price.  Again, selection may
be limited, but that's how I got 'The Pilot's Wife'.

I always used to get mine through bookclubs.  But even there they can be
pretty expensive.  I'd always pick from the sale flier or clearance list.
But those prices used to be $3.99 or 5.99.  Now the 'sale' prices are $12.85
and such.

A few of years ago I stumbled on www.audible.com  This has been the best
deal I've ever come across, although their prices have also increased.  I
started at 2 books every month for $10. The difference here is that you
download the books.  You can burn them to CD if you want, but they simply
transfer from your computer to a player, like an MP3 player.  This can in
turn be played through your car radio or tape deck with an adaptor or
directly to you via earphones.  Since your book is on a memory card, there's
no changing tapes, no bumps or skips, no broken tapes.  Originally, they
offered a co-op deal with Rio players to get you a $300 player for only $50.
That one eventually gave out, so I asked them about another one.  Through
that period of time prices had risen from $10/mo to $17/mo.  So they said
for $18/mo, they'd throw in a new player.

Audible offers a huge selection and for your $18/mo you get 2 books of any
size.  Some are as much as 30 hours long and still count as one selection.
You'll see a best-seller John Grisham available at Audible the same day it
hits the bookstores.  And they offer many prize winners, too.  They have
other plans for people who read more and also offer periodicals.

Any book you purchase from audible remains in your library.  You can access
it any time.  If you and a friend you trust with your password both join,
you could swap access to each other's libraries.  I have 72 titles in my
library now but no one to share them with.  If you'd be uncomfortable
sharing a password, as I said before, they can be burned to CD.  (Mind you,
I don't suppose audible wants people to be doing this, but if you bought an
audiotape elsewhere, you might lend it to a friend, right?)

The only drawback to audible would be if you have a dial-up connection.
Depending on the speed you choose, a 6 hr book takes 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs to
download.  I have cable now and it only takes 5 minutes.

I'm not selling for audible, I just think it is one of the best deals out