Re: Re: What are you reading/cats NOW deer

How awesome! We worry about our two bucks this time of year too. We've heard stories of wildlife rehabers going out and finding their bucks "missing" with just a collar left on the ground. One of our bucks is a 10 point and the other is 12. Hunters around here just drool over them.

From: Zemuly@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: What are you reading/cats NOW deer
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:21:29 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2003 3:59:34 PM Central Standard Time,
jesserenebell@hotmail.com writes:
I wish more people would go out and save a wonderful
creature for Christmas. *sigh*
Me, too! I have noticed a new presence who told me his name was Clyde --
guess that means I'm up to 31. A while back I tried to get people around here to
donate some dry food for them, but only one person responded with a 7 pound
bag. I use between 50 and 75 pounds of dry food per week. I have to share an
awesome experience my grandson and I had last Saturday. We arrived at my house
around dusk and were just getting out of the car when I hear a huge commotion
-- lots of running feet and grunting. I looked up to see a tiny buck (looked
like an 8-point) and about 8 tiny does running as fast as they could into the
church yard across the street. One of the does ran into the magnolia tree
there when she first saw us. They all stopped and looked at us (we were only
about 25 feet away from them), and, as if they recognized us, the does calmly
began to graze while the buck slowly walked to the edge of the woods where he
faded into invisibility. I'm sure they were running from the literally hundreds
of hunters in the woods just past the city limits. I am always shocked to see
just how small the deer in this area really are. They way they are described
under the kill shots in the paper ("Big Bad Bucks") always makes them sound
huge.

zem
zone 7
West TN