Re: what are you reading?

And I have also known some nurses that were holy terrors. Especially head
nurses! But I also understand that many of them need to be to uphold
standards, and sometimes to avoid breaking down in the face of incredible
stress. And, as with many teachers that I know and taught with, it just
wears on you after a while.

 Jim may be right, that they were acting out of social expectations. Perhaps
the social expectations where you were serving were different from those of
the Carnegie Libraries of my youth.
 I was an avid reader, and also a "corporation kid". Dad was transferred
frequently, and I visited libraries wherever I could, so saw many of the
stern-lipped types. I never could understand why they didn't love the books
they were tending, and share. Such treasures! (Maybe I was a dumb twit, but
I figured that a good book was supposed to be passed on for someone else to
enjoy. )

One thing that I've noticed and that has delighted me in the last couple of
decades is that the librarians I've met have been really enthusiastic about
sharing what they know, and in promoting, rather than hoarding books. I have
to admit, it's startled me more than once.

Daryl