From: Jesse Bell [mailto: jesserenebell@hotmail.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:28:33 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you reading?

LOL, LOL.....I think there are a LOT of librarians like that!! Saying
"Daryl" <pulis@mindspring.com><br>>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>>Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you
reading?<br>>Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:04:41
day, but as my eyes have gotten <br>>worse<br>>and worse, I can only
read for short periods without everything
my mind wanders.<br>><br>>Like Melody and many of you, I was transported
by books, and delighted when<br>>I was old enough at 5 to get my own
library card. (Even though the old <br>>witch<br>>at the desk tried to
scare me into not applying by staring at me with cold,<br>>beady eyes
peering over half-rims. She had hair in a bun and always wore
a<br>>long-sleeved white blouse, too. Scared me half to
<kmrsy@comcast.net><br>>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>>Sent: Thursday,
December 04, 2003 9:54 AM<br>>Subject: RE: [CHAT] what are you
word.<br>> ><br>> > I hope that day never comes for any of you, but if
it should, you should<br>> > consider audio. Yes, it is slower than
actual reading, but with a good<br>> > reader, the stories can take on a
on my greatest fear. Like you, I've always had a<br>> > > horror of not
being able to see the printed word. I just keep <br>>reminding<br>> > >
myself that I'm no dummy and I could easily learn braille. But
given<br>> > > the number of books I go through, then I worry about
having access to <br>>a<br>> > > braille library (or an audio library)
that could keep me satisfied.<br>> > ><br>> > > Just re-read this -
honestly, folks, I usually do see that glass as<br>> > > half-full

From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]
On<br>> > > Behalf Of Melody<br>> > > Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003
5:48 AM<br>> > > To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> > > Subject: Re: [CHAT]
basic to my life that I fear for my sanity<br>> > > should I ever lose
my sight...it seems to me that no one ever had to<br>> > > really show
me how to read...I distinctly remember picking up the Dick<br>> > > and
Jane books in first grade and somehow what was on those pages just<br>>
> > made sense to me...one of the truly memorable moments of my life
was<br>> > > getting my first library card at the public library a few
weeks later. <br>>I<br>> > > will never forget the intense feeling of
awe and sheer joy that card<br>> > > gave me...literally a passport out
of the hell my childhood was into <br>>as<br>> > > many worlds of magic
as I could read...by middle of first grade I had<br>> > > been moved
into the third grade reading classes, by the time I hit 7th<br>> > >
grade they no longer had enough for me to read and so put me in an<br>>
> > independent study program...it was great since it meant I had access
Finished most <br>>of<br>> > > the "classics" long before I hit high
school...so it seems strange to <br>>me<br>> > > that these days most of
my reading consists of the trashiest romance<br>> > > novels I can
find...the more lurid sex the better! :-) But truth be<br>> > > told,
I'll read just about anything I can lay my hands on...I love<br>> > >
murder mysteries, anything to do with serial killers, science
fiction,<br>> > > romance, classics, etc...I guess I'm just an
indiscriminate reader. A<br>> > > couple of years ago, one of our local
thrift stores went out of <br>>business<br>> > > and the owner gave away
all of the paperbacks in the store...in one<br>> > > hour, I carried out
over 5

romance novels...took me less than a year<br>> > > and a half to read
them all...truly wish I'd had time to make a second<br>> > > stop before
she closed her store for good. Right now I'm reading <br>>Thomas<br>> >
> Gifford's The Assassini, a murder mystery that concerns the
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>>message text UNSUBSCRIBE
advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year  six months

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com