Re: Best Friends for animals

> I am SO tired of having animal rights and shelter
> organizations tell me how horrible their plight is, and how I am not
> doing enough to help!

How true! Several years ago I took the time to write 25 animal charities
to tell them I had selected only one to contirbute to so that I could
give more to one place. I chose 10th Life because no donations went into
marketing, gifts, or newsletters (a member donates the correspondence
costs), they put no animals to sleep, and they take care of cats.
Runner-up was Delta Rescue, which I had been contributing to for several
yrs before that. DR still sends me requests occasionally and he sent me
one early this yr telling me that I am wasting my money and condoning
the killing of innocent animals by donating to organizations other than
his. How could I do this to him?

Generally I like this guy. He writes so well and has given his whole
life over to helping animals. The reason he was runner-up? He says he
has 1500 cats at his shelter, but he never writes about them. Sorry, I
like dogs, but if I had to choose, it would be cats. Sound silly? Well,
it's my money. I wrote him back, explained 10th Life, told him (again)
why I didn't choose DR, and chewed him out for practically outright
condeming me. The letter was very personal (though it was a form letter)
because that's the way he writes. And I took him that way.

By choosing one charity and commiting to it, it's a little easier to say
no to the others because I know I'm doing my part. If I won the lottery,
they'd all be getting gifts from me, but on what I make, I just can't do