RE: Re: dangerous dogs/over breeding and an ode to bulldogs

Yup.  Same thing with Toy Fox Terriers.  The one I just got mother is
displaying "bi-polar" behavior.  I was laughing when I told the vet I never
knew whether she wanted to snuggle or snarl and bite me from moment to
moment.  He says that that is an increasing problem with Toy Foxes because
of over breeding.  Sassy, Mom's Toy Fox Terrier, sees the vet this weekend.
I'm banking he'll have to muzzle that 5 lbs of confused animal.  (Those
teeth are like staples and will go right through a finger.  I have the
evidence on my right hand.)

The one thing I like about bulldogs is that it's really difficult to
"over-breed" them, and expensive, too. (O.K., and many folks think they are
ugly or scary, so maybe they aren't quite as popular as some.  It's really
hard to make a profit when breeding bulldogs because of the expenses of
insemination or the breeder has to use a specialized stool to strap the
female to so the male won't hurt her and it takes patience to get the female
comfortable with that!  The average lifespan of a bulldog is only about 10
years.  They will teeth on bricks and boulders, if available, but you're
your furniture, walls, etc. are at risk, too. It is best to teeth them in a
cinderblock room.  Oh, yeah, and they are gaseous critters who love to slime
their loved ones right after they come away from a water dish with jowls
dripping and are easily nauseated.) I don't think most females can throw
more than 4-5 litters and most only have 2-3 pups all by cesarean section.
(Of course, Izzie's mom had 8 little pups, but I'm not counting on Izzie to
have that many.  I also don't plan to breed her more than once, and only
because we promised the lady who bred her we'd give her the choice of any
puppies.  (Izzie's mom died shortly after we got her.  They think it was
heat stroke as she got out the doggie door on a very hot day.  Most bulldogs
can't take extreme temps.)

It takes a unique individual to love a bulldog. :>) They are the best dogs I
know with children as they hardly feel any pain.  They are loyal to a fault
and literally will pine to death if they lose their family.  Many are
layback by age 3-4 and most are eager to please though stubborn as all get
out.  It's easier to injure a bulldog with sharp words than a swat on the
backside.  And, usually, once someone has the love of a bulldog, they will
always seek out bulldogs as pets.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)