Re: O.T QUESTION

That's what I told her....start a portfolio...go into theatre arts in college. I have an ex-brother-in-law who does voice overs for radio and television commercials...we are still on good terms. He does this for a living. I will also ask him. And yes...please do send me the information on reading for the blind (from your sister). We will look into that. She has been listening to my audio books lately...and really likes it.

Thanks Kitty.

From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] O.T QUESTION
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:54:16 -0500

Jesse,
I've noticed there are two kinds of audiobook readers. Those that read
professionally and probably got started before audio books got so big. And
actors. Actors are chosen for one or both of 2 reasons: name recognition
or their acting talents make them good readers.

Since your stepdaughter is young, she could start on volunteer work. There
is an organization that has people who read everything for audio for the
blind, including newspapers. I could get the name from my sister if she
wants. She could also volunteer at the library to do a childrens' reading
circle or some other recording service they might need. Whatever she does,
I think she should start building a portfolio, just like any artist would.
Select books to read and record passages, save to tape or cd.

The fact that she can do many types of voices is excellent. She should work
on accents, both foreign and domestic, male and female voices. Practice
quick changes from one to the other. She should listen to audio books
herself and judge for herself what makes for an interesting reader. It's
not just voices, of course. It's tempo, technique, inflection, and feeling
the part.

I really know nothing about what goes into it. But, just like looking at
artwork in a museum, I know what I like when I see/hear it.
Kitty