From: Jesse Bell [mailto: jesserenebell@hotmail.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:52:42 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you reading?

Melody....that sounds like a wonderful school project. How did the
school <br>find out about the inner-city school and the pen pal thing?
I'd like to <br>recommend that to our schools. Fab
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Subject: Re: [CHAT]
what are you reading?<br>>Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:49:32 -0500
(EST)<br>><br>>Particulary when you consider the plights of some
schools...my<br>>daughter's 6th grade class does a pen pal exchange with
a school in the<br>>Chicago area ( very inner city) and they have no
school library at all<br>>and most of the kids in that class have never
been to a public library.<br>>My daughter's class just spent several
weeks putting on a book<br>>drive/fundraiser and one of the teacher's
sons was going to deliver the<br>>books after Thanksgiving...for some of
the kids in that school, those<br>>books will be the first books they
have ever owned themselves. I have a<br>>good friend who was a teacher
in California for some time and she<br>>related similar stories about
her students, many of whom didn't even<br>>have crayons and color books
in the house let alone an actual book to<br>>read...sad, sad,
thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>>--Albert
Einstein<br>><br>> --- On Thu 12/04, < kmrsy@comcast.net >
wrote:<br>>From: [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]<br>>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:21:08
looked to be older library books. We do have a Friends
of<br>>the<br>Library organization here too, doing much the same thing.
My<br>>guess is<br>that it had something to do with a complete revamping
of our<br>>library<br>system here. The library wanted $15 million to
enlarge the<br>>main library,<br>improve existing satellite libraries
and completely<br>>rebuild a few<br>satellites. This was another one of
those<br>>uproar/petition things

here in<br>Fort Wayne. People will spend anything<br>>to expand sporting
arenas, but<br>libraries? Well we won and the<br>>expansion is going on
now and will be for<br>some time. I think that<br>>with this huge
overhaul there may have been too<br>many books to dispose<br>>of and too
labor an money intensive to offer to<br>the public. Too much<br>>hassle
and $freight$ to try to send where they<br>could be used. But it<br>>is
Horror<br>>of horrors, Kitty! For years I was the Pres of the Friends of
the<br>><br>>Cedar Rapids public library organization, and ran the
annual booksale<br>>for<br>> about a decade. We have around 80,000 books
to offer to the<br>>public every<br>> year - ALL donated to us - and
none for more than<br>>$2.00 for an adult<br>> hardback. Proceeds from
the sale go back to the<br>>library for computer<br>> equipment, etc.
Why would someone just toss<br>>good books? We get a lot of<br>> junk
(moldy, torn, etc) that we<br>>recycle, but what you saw is just
nuts.<br>> I'm afraid I would have<br>>been stopping to pick them
books lying in the road.<br>> Then more books. Then<br>>piles of books,
for a good 2 miles. Then I came up<br>> to a huge dump<br>>truck that
was fully loaded with them and had been losing<br>> them all<br>>the way
down Tillman Road on his way to the dump.<br>> <br>>
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net
sign-off this list, send<br>>email to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>message text
Excite! -

most personalized portal on the Web!<br>><br>>------

sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>>message text UNSUBSCRIBE
best dial-up offer is back. Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com