Re: throw away society/shopping

I have received cacti in a similar situation. The purveyors swear that if you water, it trickles in, but I don't believe them. I had to literally chisel the cacti out of that "cement" with a screwdriver and hammer. The plants had no roots, as whatever they were in was solid from top to bottom. Fortunately, the cacti happily rooted when I replanted them in something suitable. Don't know that a sago would be as forgiving, but then I have no experience with them.
Cathy
On Saturday, December 13, 2003, at 11:49 PM, Theresa wrote:

In a word- no! I can't imagine it would be live plant for long. I've seen
them do bonsai-type plants that way, and for me I kill bonsai's anyway- so
it doesn't really matter. But a sago palm? it will actually look dead when
it dies (unlike those little bonsai junipers- they stay green even when they
are dead- kind of like petrified plants)

Theresa

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 8:40 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] throw away society/shopping

Speaking of plants in terra cotta...

I was in Lowes today and they had this cute little Sago Palm in a wide
shallow terra cotta pot. The pot was topped off with gravel and the whole
thing appeared to be GLUED in place. This is a live plant, but you could
turn the whole thing, gravel and all upside-down and it wouldn't budge.
Does this make sense?

Kitty