FW: Happy Holidays from Gardener's Supply

gnews_holThought this was kind of neat! Nice to know some of the companies I
spend money with, do give something back!

      Gardener's Supply: Happy Holidays from the employee owners of
Gardener's Supply. As our 20th year in the business comes to a close, we
want to thank you for your support and helping us fulfill our mission to
spread the pleasures and rewards of gardening. Take a look at some of the
year's Good Works.

      Don't lose touch with us! To ensure you continue to receive Gardener's
Supply e-Newsletters, please add
      gardeners@e-news.gardeners.com to your e-mail Address Book.

     Thanks to you, we have had another successful year in 2003. What a
pleasure to be in the business of serving fellow gardeners! And what a
pleasure to share our success.

      Giving back to the community has always been an important part of who
we are as a company. Gardener's Supply devotes a full 8% of our pre-tax
profits to supporting more than 220 programs and organizations across the
country that are making the world a better place through gardening. To learn
more about some of these programs, as well as our Garden Crusader Awards,
please click here.

      Though the majority of our "good works" efforts happen at a national
level, we'd like you to know about some of the fun projects that we
undertook this past summer right in our own backyard. You might find some
ideas here for your own community.

      Random Acts of Gardening

      Last May, our big green '46 Chevy pickup paid surprise visits to more
than 50 non-profit organizations and businesses around our hometown of
Burlington, Vermont. Staff volunteers delivered one of our self-watering
planters, stuffed with herbs, flowers and vegetables to all 50 locations.
Delighted recipients included the Burlington Community Land Trust, the Boy's
and Girl's Club, the Multi-Generation Center, the Fire Department, several
elementary schools, an elderly housing project, the Emergency Food Shelf,
and the Community Health Center. The program was a huge success and we plan
to expand it next year!

      Kids and Gardening

      Last spring, several hundred school children visited our display
gardens and greenhouses for hands-on workshops about vegetable gardening,
composting and plant propagation. Kids of all ages really love the
opportunity to spend a day in the sunshine getting their hands dirty and
learning how tulips grow.

      This winter we are working on a pilot project with the Composting
Association of Vermont to help school children learn more about recycling,
composting and earth stewardship. Worm composting bins are located right in
the classrooms, and composting experts get kids involved in hands-on
activities that are irresistibly squishy and squirmy.

      Gardens for All

      This past summer, we worked with the City of Burlington to put 40 of
our self-watering hanging planters on the Church Street Marketplace. We also
provided plants for several new gardens in City Hall Park. In June, about a
dozen of our employees helped construct and plant a new garden at a local
family shelter which was a big hit, especially with the children.

      As our 20th year in business comes to a close, we want to thank you
for your support, and for helping us fulfill our mission to spread the
pleasures and rewards of gardening, both near and far. We look forward to
helping you make your 2004 garden the best ever!

      Happy Holidays,

      Will Raap, Chairman and Founder
      And the 200 Employee-Owners of Gardener's Supply

      Trouble viewing this page? Click here.

      Unsubscribe Info:
      You are subscribed as: tchessie@yahoo.com. If you would like to change
or modify your subscription, or unsubscribe, please follow the link below:

      or call 1-888-833-1412.

      Gardener's Supply Company   |   128 Intervale Road   |   Burlington,
VT 05401