Re: Happy Holidays to All

In a message dated 12/27/2003 1:56:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> On a serious note, I have to plan a formal sit down dinner party (Gosh,
> do I hate doing them) and have to 'special up' a pork roast... ideas
> anyone? The last time I attempted a crown pork roast, it was a
> disaster... so thinking about a regular type roast, but need something
> special about it... or a better recipe for the crown one.... mine said
> to put the dressing in the middle while baking.. what a greasy mess that
> turned out to be....

Donna, I do what we facetiously call "Kosher Pork Roast."   I like a fresh
ham or pork shoulder, or even a boneless loin roast, but I suppose it would work
on whatever cut you choose.  I make a mix of kosher salt and rubbed sage, say
perhaps a quarter cup of salt and two tablespoons of sage (it really should
be "rubbed," not leaf sage).  Trim off all but a thin layer of surface fat, and
coat the meat thoroughly with the sage-salt mixture.  Roast in a moderate
oven - can't give you times but allow about 25-30 minutes/pound. When pierced
with a fork, the juices must run clear. (I'm absolutely no good at recipes -
seldom use them - so can't give exact amounts and times.)  This has always turned
out to be tender, juicy, and nicely flavored for me.  Auralie