Re: soap & stuff

I only remember it as a bar. I think it was the real thing--made from rendered fat and lye, and hard as a rock. I have a dim memory of my aunt grating it into her washing machine.

On Saturday, December 27, 2003, at 03:54 PM, Daryl wrote:

Was Fels Naptha a bar or a powder? My memory says powder, but you may be
right.

daryl

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Holidays to All/now old country lanquages

Fels Naptha, I think

On Saturday, December 27, 2003, at 03:17 PM, Daryl wrote:

That's interesting. There was no dearth of people who were
well-educated in
my Mom's family, but they had problems with postal delivery. If I
recall,
one of the last letters we got from the cousins said, in effect, please
don't send any more letters or packages, because they use them against
us.
We had been in the habit of sending clothes and food, and apparently,
among
other things, the packages were pilfered, and then the recipients
still had
to pay taxes on the whole thing. Sad.

Re getting your mouth washed out with soap - that's a memory, all
right. I
can't stand the smell of Ivory to this day, nor of the old yellow
laundry
soap.

Daryl

Island Jim