Re: Holiday Food

On Sunday, December 28, 2003, at 03:34 PM, Zemuly@aol.com wrote:

Auralie, I want to come to your house. You have the best recipes. As to
your comment about pepper sauce in the South, I totally agree. My mother made
batches of it every summer. I still put it on everything, but I am more apt to
buy Tabasco than to make it.
Me, too. Except I prefer Crystal to Tabacso on my cottage and farmer's cheeses. Not as much heat but a more intense pepper flavor for cool foods. Oysters, scallops, shrimp, and such need Tabasco. Especially oysters--steamed or raw. Gotta have ghee, horseradish, and Tabasco. Did I mention I took my vacation in Apalachicola last year just to eat oysters? Sacre bleu!

Reminds me. Some time ago I canned a half pint of various hot peppers--among them bird peppers, habaneros, and Thai devils--in vinegar. I just looked at the jar [I knew this list was good for something] and it has a wonderful reddish cast. Maybe it's time to put the contents in the blender and turn it into a slurry.

Incidentally, my bird pepper plant is now about 6 year old and my Thai devil plant is about 8 years old. Has to do with what's an annual and what's a perennial where you live. Right?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10