From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 11:04 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] OT:weather, cats

I had a horse that liked pickles.  And peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches...I know, cause he would steal mine when I wasn't looking.  We
would take our lunches out to the pasture and picnic and if you weren't
careful...Sarge would steal your food...and eat it with the plastic wrap
on it too!!!  Knucklehead.

>From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan"

>Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:42:40 -0500 > >We tried hot cayenne spray to
keep Izzie from chewing the furniture when she >was a
pup.  Unfortunately, we discovered that Izzie could easily be a Cajun
>dog.  Every foul and incredibly HOT thing we rubbed on the wood only
made it >all the more enticing.  She likes anything that I accidentally
drop to the >ground as well.   Thus we know she likes pears, grapes,
carrots, all variety >of meats, all vegetables, including broccoli, etc.,
etc.  It is different >with every animal, just as every human has its own
tastes.  Naturally, I >would end up with a canine garbage disposal
unit.  I'm so glad she has quit >teething!  Nothing was safe from those
bulldog jaws.  Of such is life. > >Blessings, >Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5) >
>-----Original Message----- >From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf >Of Theresa >Sent: Saturday,
December 27, 2003 12:43 PM >To: gardenchat@hort.net >Subject: RE: [CHAT]
OT:weather, cats > >Yep- bitter apple spray is available from most vets
and will keep cats away >from what ever you spray it on.  Just be sure
you don't breathe in why you >are spraying it.  Kind of makes you feel
like you've got a furball.  Bleck! > >It doesn't smell (to people) after
it dries, but the cats can smell it and >stay away. > >Theresa >
>-----Original Message----- >From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On >Behalf Of Kitty >Sent: Saturday,
December 27, 2003 7:05 AM >To: gardenchat@hort.net >Subject: Re: [CHAT]
OT:weather, cats > > >Barbara, >You have only one scratching post and the
male uses it?  That may be your >answer.  3 of my cats don't have front
claws so it's not much of a problem >for me, but they each has favorite
places they "sharpen their paws".  The >paws have scent glands and when
they rub their paws on something they are >marking it as theirs.  When
cats with claws sharpen their claws they are >doing double duty because
they also leave their scent.  Your female knows >that carpeted post
belongs to the male.  Get her one of her own.  And while >it is new, try
to keep the male away from it while you encourage the female. >There's no
guarantee she'll use it, but you can try.  If she still won't, >then use
it to replace the one the other cat has destroyed. > >As to the
furniture, I think there are sprays you could use on areas you >want them
to leave alone. > >Kitty > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Barbara
Tandy" >To: >Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 12:16 AM >Subject: Re:
[CHAT] OT:weather, cats > > > > Kitty, I have never been sure how to
train my cats to use a pole or sisal > > etc.  I have a carpeted
scratching pole, which my male cat loved from the > > moment I brought it
into the house (has torn to pieces) but my female cat > > won't
touch.  She prefers the furniture, though she knows I don't like her > >
to use it and she's better than when she was a kitten. > > --Barbara,
California > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Kitty" > > To: > >
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 7:04 PM > > Subject: Re: [CHAT]
OT:weather, cats > > > > > > > Chris, > > > Do your cats bother your
fabric-covereed furniture?  If they already >have > > a > > > place to
sharpen their claws nd haven't bothered furniture, I can't see > > why >
> > they'd be drawn to a new piece because it's leather.  I don't like
>leather > > > furniture myself, so I don't have any experience with
cats' attraction >to > > > it.  If you have cardboard trays and sissel
poles and have trained them >to > > > use them, you should be fine. > > >
Kitty > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "Chris" > > >
To: > > > Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 4:32 PM > > > Subject: RE:
[CHAT] OT:weather, cats > > > > > > > > > > For weather I go to : > > > >
http://weather.yahoo.com/ > > > > > > > > On another topic, does anyone
have any experience with cats and >leather > > > > furniture?  I played
all afternoon on a program that allowed me to > > > > arrange the
furniture in my family room- I did the kitchen too, just >for > > > >
fun.  Anyway, I'm considering getting a leather recliner, maybe Misson >
> > > Style,  but I'm worried about my cats clawing it up. > > > > > > >
> Any thoughts? > > > > > > > > Chris > > > > Long Island, NY > > > >
Zone 7 > > > > > > > >