From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:52:40 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] History Major

> We<br>> just don't value the study of the human
spend that much time and money<br>on college you have to be able to make
a living at it. Makes sense,<br>especially if you're not rich. But what
also seems to be coming through<br>loud and clear is that anything that
doesn't make money is frivolous.<br>Studies of history, music,
literature, etc, are losing ground against the<br>almighty $. And that's
just in education. The beauty of our national parks<br>are under assault
because someone thinks they can make a buck off it. Water<br>rights are
being snatched up in West Texas in shady deals by Texans that<br>could
leave that drought stricken state in dismal straits because of
form. Some steadfast Wyoming<br>Republicans now say they won't vote
republican because the current<br>administration has encroached on their
land. They didn't care when it<br>happened anywhere else in this
country, but they do now. We have to care<br>about the big
picture.<br><br>Bringing this back to the topic at hand, we have to
encourage interests in<br>the human condition in younger generations. We
need to fund these areas.<br>We need to get government to understand why
this is necessary. We all need<br>to know that, while $ is very
important, it is not everything.<br><br>Sorry for such a downer message
on Cmas Eve. But it could be uplifting if<br>it provokes some thought
and action. No type of education is ever a waste.<br>I spent 6 years of
my life and lots of tuition getting a business degree<br>which has
yielded me the $ I need to survive. But the 4 yrs and tuition I<br>spent
with Guelph getting my ODH, which hasn't put a nickel in my pocket
has<br>been the more valuable to me. I have shared much more of what I
learned<br>from my ODH with more people, than I ever have with my BS.
Message ----- <br>From: "David

Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Wednesday, December 24, 2003 12:45 PM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] History
Now I sell<br>> plants. But when I was a chef and restaurant owner the
degree came in<br>> very handy...well ok, I didn't use it there but when
I was in<br>> sales...hmmm, didn't do a thing for me there either.
Actually, it has<br>> paid off in many ways that I couldn't possibly
begin to explain in a<br>> short letter. It is a spring board to many
other endeavors but unless<br>> you want to teach social science the
degree in itself is not much. We<br>> just don't value the study of the
human condition. It don't make us<br>> money end of story. Now how about
12/23/2003 8:31:53 PM Central Standard Time,<br>>
>gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:<br>> >Well a History major makes for
great trivia (and perspective) but isn't<br>> >so hot vocationally.<br>>
>That's exactly how I feel about having taken Anglo Saxon! <LOL><br>>
>zem<br>> ><br>>
>To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the<br>>
>message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br>><br>>
message text UNSUBSCRIBE

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com