back from Thanksgiving trip

Returned last night from our trip to Chincoteague.  Lovely, as usual.
Jim, if you haven't been there recently, you would be surprised.  We
can't quite figure out the economy of the place.  In the last four or five
years there has been a great housing boom.  Hampton Inns and
Comfort Suites have both built large structures on the bay-side of
the island, and townhouses have sprung up all around the island.
But the service industry seems to be dying on the vine.  One of the
two supermarkets has closed.  This time we found the all-purpose
deli-grocery we had relied on for all requirements had closed.  Three
of the good restaurants have closed.  One of the major gift-shops has
moved into smaller quarters, as has the one interesting dress shop.
Why are people investing in real estate in this place where there are
no service facilities?  What am I missing?  We love the place because
we love the nature preserve.  We love just relaxing and looking at
birds and the sea and the bay.  But we also enjoy going out for a good
meal and a bit of shopping - and that just isn't there any more.  There
was no good restaurant open on Thanksgiving day.  We had trouble
finding sandwiches to take on the "special drive" which is open only
on Thanksgiving weekend, and made do for  dinner with snacks and
an instant soup.  We made up for it with Crab Imperial the next night,
but Thanksgiving dinner was a joke.  I'm not really complaining - just
don't quite understand the economy.