Re: Ripout time

Just kidding. I'm not going anywhere. Probably just fiddle with the plants.

On Saturday, December 4, 2004, at 07:05 PM, Donna wrote:

Visiting David? Or kids?

Behalf Of james singer

Depends on the climate at the time. Might go to Santa cruz.

On Saturday, December 4, 2004, at 03:31 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Jim,
As usual, most of the plants you've named are foreign to me, so I can't
really comment. However, If Ms. Fatma is taking off for Boston for
Cmas,
what are you doing?

Kitty

Spent most of the morning ripping out a large duranta hedge that we
planted when we first moved in. We planted it as a privacy screen
because we knew it would grow fast. Then we planted red-tip cocoplums
behind it. Well, now the cocoplums are about 12 feet tall and very
dense, so it's time for the durantas to go.

There is also a honeybell tangelo on the end of the cocoplum hedge.
Now
that the durantas are out, I can see clusters of ripe and near-ripe
tangelos hanging in the cocoplums. Way more than we can eat, even if
we
go on a tangelo-only diet. So I guess we'll be squeezing and freezing
tomorrow, although it would be nice if we could hold some on the tree
for Ms. Fatma to take with her when she goes to Boston for Christmas.

Once I'm satisfied that the durantas are dead, I'm going to turn the
bed into a cactus garden--whortleberries and Peruvian apples. They're
both columnar types and should thrive in that bed. It gets full sun
most of the day.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W