Re: Was Yucky veggies... now smoking

here, here!! I add my vote of moral support for all of you who decide to quit this New Year. I want you all around for a long, long time to inspire me, brighten my day, and on days like today to distract me from the crap floating around my head related to work!

P.S. Jim I like your 12-step, 2-step program. Do you have dance moves you can add to that plan for a whole marketable package??

Theresa

james singer wrote:

The first time I quit was just after the surgeon general's report. I had to go to hospital to have my appendix removed, so that provided a setting that made quitting somewhat easier than most other scenarios would have. And I did quit. And stayed quit for about 10 years. Then started again. Then quit again. Then started again. Seven or 8 years ago I quit for the last time. I realized one night I could barely breathe. That made the choice so simple; even I could understand it.

You never get over the craving, Melody. I'd sure like to have a cigaret right now. But I want to breathe, so I'll decline. On the up-tick, the craving does abate some over time. I don't pat my shirt pockets any longer looking for a butt. But I do dream about looking for some place to buy cigarets--and even of smoking them after I've bought them.

I've also decided stopping is a perpetual 12-step program. "Step One: Don't smoke now!" "Step Two: See Step One!"

Quitting is the only thing that works. Substituting one gratification for another only makes you fat. Then you've got a real problem--overweight with bad lungs.

Good luck. I'm rooting for all you guys to do yourselves a big favor.