Re: Stromanthe sanguinea "Tricolor"

Good grief, Kitty!  I have this feeling that the aster change may end
up like the chrysanthemum change....not happening.  Eurybia or
Symphyotrichum do not run trippingly off the tongue...yuck!  I do not
see the general public using those names...ever.  Asters will be
asters, like mums are mums whether the taxonomists like it or not.

As I understand the world of botanical nomenclature, changes occur
continually as more research is done, however if the name is one that
has been in common usage forever - like aster and chrysanthemum- it
really has to be universally accepted - not just by the trade and
universities, but by gardeners - or the change gets rescinded...like
happened with mums.

I have seen Cimicifuga labeled Actea in catalogs now, but always with
one or the other name in parentheses.  I think that one will
eventually stick, which does not thrill me because I like Cimicifuga
- the way it sounds - and having them all Actea gets me confused as
Cimicifuga was a confusing enough genus in the first place.

Makes you feel like following Tony Avent's practice of getting a
bunch of taxonomists together and throwing darts at them:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange

> From: kmrsy@comcast.net
> There was an article about it in this month's TAG. The name change
> deliberated something like 5 years ago, then accepted and is in use
> universities and such, but has not yet made it to the market. Hard
> tell if it will be accepted in the nursery industry yet. The
> available Cimicifugas were changed years ago to Actea, but I have
yet to
> see one labeled Actea.
> Kittty
> > Wonderful (NOT)... when did this happen.
> >
> > Donna
> >

> > > Funny you should mention that Donna. Asters are the latest
thing on the
> > > hit
> > > list - most have been transferred to Eurybia or Symphyotrichum.
> > > England
> > > Aster (such as 'Alma Potschke') is now Symphyotrichum
novae-angliae; the