Re: Lane Cake and another recipe request

I have found 3 different recipes in my cookbooks, all with different numbers of layers. But if it is number of layers that differentiate the cake you remember, I think I can solve it. Many cooks, when they wanted to make a very special cake, would split each cake layer in half, doubling the possible layers: if your recipe was for a four layer cake, you would then have an eight layer cake! As for the filling, all versions have a rich custard as base, but almost every cook had her own additions to the custard, so there are many versions of the Lane Cake theme.
Now does anyone have a recipe for Hummingbird Cake?
Cathy
On Sunday, December 26, 2004, at 02:11 PM, Kitty wrote:

Happy St. Stephen's Day Andrea & Auralie!
Congrats on the new computer and welcome back!
Googled Lane Cake photos and the most I saw was 4 layers. The "Lane" name
in the recipe sounds like it has more to do with the filling than the number
of layers, though most of the recipes I came across mentioned 4 layers. The
Lane filling described on one was comprised of: Egg yolks, Sugar, Butter at
room temperature, Brandy, Water, Candied cherries-finely chopped,
Raisins-seeded-coarsely chopped, Pecans-chopped, Coconut-shredded.
I was a bit puzzled by "Raisins-seeded-coarsely chopped". Any raisins I've
ever used were seedless. Does seeded mean to remove the seeds or to buy
raisins with seeds - provided you could find any. ???

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2004 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] I'm back!

Glad you're back, Andrea. We've missed you, too.
I was going to ask you if they still celebrate Christmas with
Lane Cake in the deep South. I've been looking for a recipe
to give a friend who likes to bake, but can't find one that
sounds like what I remember - many thin layers with yummy
filling, sliced really thin. A plate of Lane Cake slices was
the standard confection given to neighbors and friends. But
maybe they don't do that any more. Any recipe I could find
has two or three layers, regular thickness - just wouldn't be
the same.

Enjoy your new computer.
Auralie

In a message dated 12/26/2004 1:54:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,