From: pdickson
Sent: 12/27/2004 2:09:28 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Christmas message from my nephew

I thought I would share this with all of you.  I appreciate all that
everyone has done to make their time in Iraq some better.
Tricia
Ho, Ho, Ho, everyone from scenic Camp Fallujah!!

 Christmas came and went here with a drizzle from the sky.  But don't worry,
we deconflicted the air strikes and clearing operations so that Santa could
still fly his sleigh in.  We even provided LZ (landing zone) security while
he offloaded his cargo and had Cobra helicopters on a 15-minute alert. J

 Even far away in this predominately Muslim country, we celebrated Christmas
this evening with turkey, prime rib, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry
sauce, and even egg nog!  While not a 5-star feast, it was a sight better
than MRE's or "tray-rations" (hard to explain. rather like bulk MRE's heated
then served on a plate) which we have been dining on lately. There were
stockings hung with care (even inside my Hummer. pictures will be in another
email. my camera is on the fritz) and a bite in the air.  Amazingly, none of
the Marines received sticks and coal; rather, they were stuffed with candy
galore.

 We've started letting civilians back into the city and it has been, well,
interesting to say the least.  There's nothing quite as ironic as the US
providing security and bus transportation so the mujahadeen can come
strolling back into the city after we've pretty much decimated the current
population of terrorists and former regime elements.  Most of the Marines
here understand that this effort is for the greater good and continue to
plug away.  Oh well. I don't want this email to sound glum or disheartened.
Much is going well here and progress is being made.  Hopefully, the
"Fallujahans" will see what happens when they support terrorists and won't
do it anymore.

 On a brighter note, I've received an abundance of cards and letters wishing
us a Merry Christmas and while, unfortunately, I don't have much time to
write letters (Just ask Tonya how many she's received), I hope you know how
much you all mean to me.  The letters continuously bring a smile to my face
and memories of better times spent with my wonderful family and friends.
Keep 'em coming!  I'm truly amazed at the amount of support that has poured
from across the nation to our small platoon.  Thank you all so much!

 May blessings be abundant this holiday season to you and yours!

 With much love,

Russ

http://www.hort.net/funds/