Re: Cat Question

I concur- time for a new vet. Any decent vet with a vet tech should be able to manage a simple blood draw. I've never heard of this. A very good friend of my does alot of feral rescues and through an local organization get care (and spay/neurter) too. She's never been turned away because a vet "can't" do a basic procedure. I suspect your vet got bitten and has not dealt this the "fear-factor" since then. But- in the meantime- I'd find a new vet to go to.

Chris Petersen wrote:

Dear All,

We took in a six week old abandoned kitten about a month ago. The vet tried
to do the feline leukemia test today, but told my son that he needs to
sedate the kitten to draw the blood. I guess he tried, but wasn't
successful. I think that the vet is getting wary of cats. Last month he
"couldn't" vaccinate my older cat. I don't want to give my cats anesthesia
just for simple procedures. He told Jaron that he might have to keep the
kitten over night! Time for a new vet? What do you all think?

Also, the kitten is black and white and needs a name. My son wants to name
him, but so far can't come up with any name that fits. Any ideas?

My husband doesn't want any more cats in the house. So far the kitten has
been living in Jaron's room. He needs to be isolated from the other cats
until he's tested anyway. We're hoping that the kitten will stay. Jaron is
24 and "it" will be his cat.

Chris Petersen Northport, Long Island, New York
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)