Re: OT/Itching dogs

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT/Itching dogs
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:48:02 -0600

Andrea, I thought you were on the mend.  What a shame.

As others mentioned, the humidifier will help.  Cold weather requires more
home heating which often results in very low RH readings.  When I got my new
furnace a couple years ago I got the add on humidifier Donna mentioned and
it's wonderful.  No static electricity that zaps the cats when I touch them
anymore.  90% reduction in sinus problems.  And a huge drop in itchiness.
But the unit cost an extra $500, so most older homes don't have them.

The dogs' itches may be from the dry air or possibly from their diet.  I'm
sure you've checked for fleas.  Food alergies, often from corn or other
ingredients in pet food can cause allergies.  I tried the fatty acids pills
for Orangecat but he was already overweight and they didn't seem to help so
I dropped that.  Lotion wouldn't be a good idea, IMO.  I'd be fearful of
something in it that they would lick off that wouldn't agree with them.  A
body oil might be good, but I'd worry about the oil rubbing off on your
carpet.  I use a sesame oil on my dry skin.  It is suggested that it be
rubbed into moistened skin and then blotted to remove excess, not rubbed off
with a towel.