Re: Dahlia imperialis

Beautiful, Jim.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 5:19 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Dahlia imperialis

Picture at

http://hort.net/+134P

On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:19 PM, James R. Fisher wrote:

Donna wrote:
Hum.... Can you start them indoors to get a jump start on the season in zone
cold areas? Confused since is a tree form? Does it have tubers? Is it just a
basic type dahlia and is pruned to look like a tree? Does it go dormant in
the high zones and re-sprout/bloom? I am definitely confused about this....
You can dig the tubers (very large), overwinter in the cool, bring out in early spring, take cuttings of new sprouts and grow those on, like any Dahlia.
It's a basic type Dahlia, called a tree Dahlia because it grows very tall,
10-12 feet I've seen, with a thick hollow stem, not 'pruned' in the sense
that a tree gets pruned, but as some Dahlias get pruned to thin the laterals
and so induce fewer but larger flowers. I doubt that many of the tree Dahlia
species get pruned in such a fashion. If left in the ground it will put up new growth in the spring and grow new stems. In this sense it's perennial, but any
given stem is annual.
-jrf
--
Jim Fisher