Re: RE: Dahlia imperialis in bloom

Thanks for running this down. The one a Leu is nowhere near that large--maybe 6-7 feet. Notice, however, that Tony refers to a "Plant of the Month" exhibit that I couldn't figure out where it was on the SFBG web site. Any clues?

On Dec 27, 2005, at 10:18 AM, James R. Fisher wrote:

Hard to tell from the photo how tall it is for them.
So I sent off an inquiry to the Plant Collections manager at the
SFBG and here's what he said:

Subject: RE: Dahlia imperialis
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:03:15 -0800
From: Tony Morosco <tmorosco@sfbotanicalgarden.org>
To: James R. Fisher <garrideb@well.com>

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting the San Francisco Botanical Garden.

Our Tree Dahlias (Dahlia imperialis) tend to range from about 9 feet to
15 feet. We have quite a few clumps in different parts of our
collections, and depending on local site conditions and the individual
aptitude of each plant, they can exhibit different heights and traits
(flower color, leaf form, etc.). Our main enemy for height is wind
during winter storms, which can break the brittle stems.

You can thank our docent Joanne Taylor for the beautiful photographs in
our Plant of the Month exhibit.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Wishes,
Tony Morosco
Plant Collections Manager
San Francisco Botanical Garden