Re: Lady Chatsworth pics

Nice pictures of Miss Chatty & beau. What fun to see them.
To: "Gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:40 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Lady Chatsworth pics

I hope this e-mail goes through...been having problems lately. I took
that picture last Wednesday, when it was still a balmy 70 degrees
outside. Then three hours later the cold, ice, and snow moved in and
stayed. We looked EVERYwhere for an Emden for her. No luck. But we found
this Chinese gander who had never left his mother and father. His
siblings all paired off with mates but there were not enough females for
him...so two years later, he is still with his parents (very unusual).
He is the same age as her. When we first brought him out, she hid behind
the ducks. I think she was beginning to think she was a duck, not a
goose. We have five Canadian geese out there, and she doesn't mingle
with them. The dark duck with the red face (in the background) is one of
the Muscovy ducks (male). After a week, she came around to meet him. He
is such a gentleman. When we go out to feed, he clears the way and makes
sure she gets to eat first, and he stands watch over her.

Then he eats. THEN...and only then...does he let the ducks and Canadians
eat. It's so cute. They have paired off I think. Who knows, maybe this
spring we'll have some royal babies.

I'll have to look into that book (from the Smithsonian catalog). Until
she came into my life, I never gave geese much thought...but she has
totally fascinated me. It is still a mystery how she showed up at our
place as a baby. We looked high and low around here for a male
Emden....and NOBODY has them. So where did she come from? I have no
idea. My neighbor, a really funny Irish guy, says, "hey, she might be
Jesus in disguise...so be good to her! You never know!"

I'll keep you all posted. And Bonnie, we feed all our ducks and geese a grain mixture from the
feed store. It has cracked corn and a mixture of things that are good
for them. It's fairly cheap in bulk. I don't know what dog food would do
to them.