Re: heated floors

I had heated floors and ceiling when we lived in New Mexico. It was wonderful. I could turn on the heat in the bathroom but leave the bedroom cool. You never had heat blowing out the door when you opened the door to the outside since there was no blower. I wish I still had this kind of heat. I saw on a fix it show where they can lay down the coils then lay down some kind of cement stuff on top then tile or put wood floors on top of it all. It didn't look impossible to do yourself.... they kept saying to do a test of the current many times in the project to be sure that something had not messed up the wiring while you were working with it.
Tricia
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 12:47 PM
Subject: [CHAT] heated floors

Jim, I suppose you can sit this one out ;+)
I'm thinking about redoing my family room (FR) next year. The FR is on a slab situated between the garage and Florida Room. The rest of the house is on a crawl, a few steps up from the FR. FR has a good quality berber carpet that looks like crap because it is a very high traffic area. I also have my 5 tiered light stand in the FR and have spilled water and brown natural liquid fertilizer on the carpet as well as hot choc when I stepped on the cat. I'm thinking tile.

However, being on a slab, tile would really make that room cold. A friend mentioned heated tile and I thought it sounded like the tile might have electric wiring in them. But today there was an article in the paper about warm water tubing under tile for heating. I've never seen heated tile advertised and I'm wondering how expensive a project this would be.

Do any of you have any heated-tile rooms?  Any thoughts to share?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5