To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] heated floors

You can do this Kitty!

Last fall my mother had an addition put on.  Sort of
like a FR with mostly windows etc....One of the workers suggested this
underfloor heating mats.

If you head over to Menards, (as I would imagine
any DIY store would have it), they are just wire panels you lay on the
concrete which snap together to make any size you need. Although they are not
'real' expensive, depending on the size of the room, it adds up!

Now they
did use some filler if you will, so the floor would be even as these cause it
to be raised maybe a 1/4 inch. Mortar comes to mind as I recall walking in
while they were doing it.

Hers is connected to a thermostat, so she can
control how warm the floor gets.

This is not designed to heat the room, as
she also has baseboard heaters for that....but no cold porcelain floor to step
on!

I also learned while this was being built, that not everything is
'ceramic tile'..... ceramic only has the color on the top 1/8 (?) inch where
porcelain goes thru the depth of the tile.... so when it gets chipped, it
doesn't show.... something to think about as the cost difference of the two is
minimal.

Donna